To provide technical support for real-time PCR/LAMP testing within the remote Virology outpost for Clear Me and to support the overall Covid response within laboratory operations manual set up of real time PCR/LAMP to the molecular laboratory and to support laboratory operations for Covid PCR/LAMP.
• Under the guidance of a Medical Laboratory Technologist or Molecular Specialist, manual or partially-automated set up of real-time PCR/LAMP, including preparation of primer and probe stocks, and sequencing.
• Manual or automated extraction of nucleic acids on high throughput platforms as assigned.
• Operation of real-time thermalcycler, extraction platforms, sequencing platform, and automated and non-automated liquid handling platforms.
• Real-time PCR/LAMP data analysis using vendor thermalcycling software, miniPCR or other assigned equipment.
• Technical support for validation or evaluation studies under the direction of the manager, team lead, MLT or molecular specialist.
• Handling or processing of human specimens including respiratory specimens, blood, urine is advantageous.
• Prioritizes work and responds to urgent or unpredictable demands.
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills-
• Strong understanding molecular theory and best practices including real-time PCR/LAMP, nucleic acid extraction, molecular workflows, primer and probe dilution calculation and preparation.
• Experience with standard molecular lab applications and instrumentation (e.g. DNA extraction, pipetting, PCR/LAMP set up, sequencing an asset).
• Familiarity with general laboratory equipment including centrifuges, incubators, pipettors, automated liquid handlers, incubators, biological safety cabinets.
• Good working understanding of and experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, Access.
• Time management and ability to prioritize.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• High degree of comfort with automation and manual processes.
• Adaptability to changing demands and willingness to learn.
• Understanding of Sanger sequencing and Next Generation Sequencing theory is an asset.
Education and Experience-
• Bachelor of Science degree.
• 3 years of molecular experience.
• Extensive technical experience with real-time PCR/LAMP, preferably in a clinical genetics or molecular genetics laboratory.
Attributes and Competencies-
• Works within established procedures for a Medical Laboratory Assistant and within PHO Lab standards and protocols.
• Follows technical instructions (SOP) for testing of samples and preparation of reagents.
• Solves basic problems (e.g., mismatched samples, issues with prepared media such as incorrect pH).
• Seeks advice and direction in solving more complex problems.
• Determines which organisms can/cannot be handled due to safety/risk.
• May be required to lift up to 10 kg.
• May be required to work within a biological safety cabinet/fumehood.
• Physical coordination and manual dexterity in the use of keyboard, operate and maintain laboratory equipment, and perform testing of specimens.
• May be required to perform repetitive tasks such as pipetting.
• May be required to stand or sit for the period of one shift.
• Requires physical activity such as walking, lifting, stretching and bending.
• May be required to work shifts as scheduled.
• Works within a Laboratory environment which contains hazardous and infectious materials, odors, noise generated from automated analyzers, some temperature extremes, such as walk in fridges and freezers.
• Required to adhere to Laboratory safety including proper use of biological safety cabinets, autoclaves and personal protective equipment.
• Works shifts as assigned.